Rotary Music Scholarship applications now being accepted!
The Rotary Club of Downers Grove is now accepting applications for their annual Charles Dickerman Music Scholarships. Each year since 2009 the Rotary Club presents scholarship checks to deserving high school seniors who reside in Downers Grove or the District 99 attendance area. Again this year we will award up to six scholarships: a Grand Award of $5,000, plus up to five additional cash awards of at least $2,000!!
Charles Dickerman was a founding member of the Rotary Club of Downers Grove. He was a nuclear physicist at Argonne National Laboratory who had undergraduate degrees in both physics and music. Charles stayed involved in music throughout his life and was an avid bagpiper!
For questions about the application, email:
or phone Dave Humphreys at (630) 968-5526.
Applicants must submit their forms by Monday, March 18, 2024. If selected as a finalist, candidates will then submit a short video audition by Tuesday, April 9, 2024, and must be available for a virtual interview on the evening of Sunday, April 14, 2024. The scholarship winners will be announced in May.
The qualifications to apply for this scholarship are:
- Candidates are graduating seniors attending a public, private, parochial, or home school, and reside in Downers Grove or the High School District 99 attendance area.
- Candidates plan to pursue a post-secondary education.
- Candidates are required to have participated in curricular music activities in high school and/or extracurricular music activities.
- Composers and/or arrangers qualify for this scholarship.
- Pursuit of an undergraduate music major or minor is not required.
- Financial need is not a criterion for selection.
Dave Humphreys (he/him)
Rotary Club of Downers Grove
Service Scholarships Available!
Requirements for the Rotary Club of Downers Grove Service Scholarships are as follows:
• Must be a resident of Downers Grove, enrolled in a public or private high school.
• Must be a graduating Senior pursuing a post-secondary program.
• Participant in service activities in school or the community.
• Demonstrated leadership qualities within the service activities.
• Financial need is not a criteria for selection.
• Applications will be reviewed by the Rotary Scholarship Committee.
• If applicant is selected for an interview, notification of the time of the interview will be sent to the applicant via email.
• Ten minute interviews for the finalists will be held between 6:00 - 9:00 pm on the following dates:
• 60516 HS Area Interview date: Monday, April 8th
• 60515 HS Area Interview Date: Tuesday, April 9th
Application information and form have been sent to the local high school counselors to distribute. If you have any questions, contact Cathy Mead at firstname.lastname@example.org
Rotary Club of Downers Grove Service Scholarship
Thirteen of our sixteen scholarship winners with their parents attended a wonderful buffet at The Baked Apple on Tuesday! The graduates' hard work was recognized by our club, made possible by the work we do through our fundraisers. Hearing the students' stories and all the exciting places they are going to was inspiring to hear as we enter the final stretch of delivering Rotary GroveFest for the community. (some pictures not rotating correctly)
2023 Charles Dickerman Scholarship Winners!
Dave Humphreys presented four Charles Dickerman Music Scholarships at the North High School Senior Awards Night last Wednesday. The four students, left to right, are: Hannah Janka (French Horn), Claire Gustis (Flute), Cameron Hejny (Clarinet, Grand Award Winner), and Stephen Cecil (Viola).
Nicole Walus presented the fifth Dickerman award at South High School the same evening to Olivia Balicki (Percussion).
A total of $15,000 in Dickerman Scholarships was presented on Wednesday to these five talented students! All scholarship winners are invited to join Rotarians at our breakfast meeting on June 6th.